Company: LA Weekly LLP (the "Company")
Company¹s Address: 3861 Sepulveda Blvd., Culver City CA 90230
Telephone: (310) 574-7100
LA Weekly LLP, its subsidiaries and affiliated companies (together, the "Sponsor"), will conduct the Contest substantially as described in these rules, and by participating, each participant agrees as follows:
1. Description of Contest/Participation.
A. Dates of Contest: The Contest will begin August 14 2008 and end on or about October 4, 2008.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE ODDS OF WINNING. Void where prohibited. Odds of winning depend upon the number of participants.
B. How to Enter: To be entered into the judging, all entries must be emailed
to firstname.lastname@example.org. Register by logging onto the Sponsor¹s website at
C. How to Play: Entrants will submit no more than (2) electronic file examples of their band¹s music by 11:59 pm on August 14th. On or about August 16, 2008, the Sponsor and MySpace will make (12) twelve selections from all eligible entries received. The Sponsor will select 12 entrants that the Sponsor in its sole and exclusive discretion determines to be deserving of the position..
A panel of judges will be made up of qualified individuals who have experience and knowledge related to the music or entertainment industry, and/or trained musicians.
Judges will score the final performance according to the following criteria: Performance Skills, Musicianship, Personality and Lyrics and overall composition of their original material.
One Grand Prize winner will be selected by laweekly.com voters. This winner will be contacted from the information provided on the entry email. If the Sponsor is unable to contact the winner with the information provided the Sponsor reserves the right to select another winner at its sole discretion.
By participating in the voting portion of this Contest, each voting participant agrees to be bound by the official Contest rules.
Beginning at August 21, 2008 and ending at September 18, 2008 the Sponsor will invite laweekly.com voters to vote for their favorite band, based on the criteria listed below.
Listeners voting on line should vote based on the following:
Musicianship; Personality; and Lyrics and overall composition of the artist¹s original material.
Voting is limited to one vote per verified email address PER DAY PER VERIFIABLE EMAIL ADDRESS. If an entrant receives multiple and/or irregular votes or multiple votes from the same user or users, including but not limited to, votes generated by a robotic, programmed, script, macro, other automated means or other source, the Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify the contestant in its sole discretion.
If the use of an internet tool and the internet voting process fails to operate properly or appears to be tampered with or tainted with errors, fraud, unfair practices or otherwise, the Sponsor reserves the right to select a panel of judges to determine the winner. All decisions of the judges are final.
2.Grand Prize(s).The prize(s) that may be awarded to the eligible winner(s) are:
Guitar Center Shopping Spree approximate prize value $2500.00; A Friends and Family Deal with MySpace Records ("Friends Deal"). Winner will be given the opportunity to enter into a Friends Deal with MySpace Records. The Friends Deal will give MySpace Records the exclusive option to sign winner to an exclusive, worldwide recording agreement within twelve (12) months after the winner delivers demo recordings to MySpace Records. Winner will also receive other promotional considerations, including additional exposure on MySpace.com; and MySpace "Friends Deal" approximate prize value $0.
Opening slot on the LA Weekly Detour Music festival main stage ("Performance"): stage approximate prize value: $0
Prize LA Weekly/GuitarCenter/MySpace
Grand Prize: One (1) chance for the winning band to play the opening slot at LA Weekly Detour music festival main stage on October 4, 2008. One (1) $2500 (Twenty-five hundred dollars) Guitar Center Gift Card. (gift card subject to terms and conditions therein). One (1) MySpace "Friends Deal" Other restrictions may apply.
The Performance and Friends Deal have no associated cash value and in the event the Performance is cancelled or postponed, or the Friends Deal becomes unavailable for any reason, that portion of the prize will be cancelled without substitution or compensation.
Approximate Retail Value of all prizes is: $ 2500.00
Winner and guests (band) must be available to attend on: October 4, 2008. Other restrictions may apply.
If winning band is unable to attend on the date specified above, the winning band will be disqualified and the Sponsor will select an alternate winner, in its sole discretion.
The prize(s) that may be awarded to the eligible winner(s) are not transferable, redeemable for cash or exchangeable for any other prize. Winner(s) must present state authorized identification prior to being awarded the prize. All prizes or prize vouchers must be redeemed from the Sponsor within 60 days of the contest end date unless stated otherwise in these official rules. Certain prizes are date specific (i.e. concerts, trips) and the winner or winners must be available on the dates specified. If a winner cannot be contacted or is disqualified for any reason, the Sponsor reserves the right to determine an alternate winner or not to award that winner¹s prize, in its sole discretion.
3. Eligibility and Limitations. Participants and winner(s) must be U.S. residents, at least 18-years old, as determined by the Sponsor. Must reside in local Los Angeles County/Orange County/Riverside County Unless otherwise stated above, only one (1) entry per person. Only one (1) prize per household for the Contest for any thirty (30) day period. Employees of the Sponsor, MySpace, the Contest¹s participating sponsors and their advertising agencies, and members of the immediate family of any such persons are not eligible to participate and win. The term "immediate family" includes spouses, siblings, parents, children, grandparents, and grandchildren, whether as "in-laws," or by current or past marriage(s), remarriage(s), adoption, co-habitation or other family extension, and any other persons residing at the same household whether or not related.
46. Publicity; Use of Personal Information.By participating, where allowed by law, all participants and winner(s) grant the Sponsor, MySpace, Inc., and MySpace Records, Inc. (together, MySpace Inc. and MySpace Records, Inc. are referred to as "MySpace") exclusive permission to use their names, characters, photographs, voices, and likenesses in connection with promotion of this and other contests and waive any claims to royalty, right, or remuneration for such use. By participating in the Contest, where allowed by law, participants agree that the Sponsor may disclose personal information obtained from participants in the Contest to third parties and use such information for marketing and other purposes.
57. Consumer Created Content. If the entry for the Contest requires creative material from the participant/entrant, by submitting your entry: (1) you agree that your disclosure is gratuitous, unsolicited and without restriction and will not place the Sponsor, or MySpace or contest sponsors under any fiduciary or other obligation, that the Sponsor is free to disclose the ideas on a non-confidential basis to anyone or otherwise use the ideas without any additional compensation to you; (2) you acknowledge that, by acceptance of your submission, the Sponsor and MySpacecontest sponsors do not waive any rights to use similar or related ideas previously known to Sponsor or MySpace, or developed by their employees, or obtained from sources other than you; (3) you are verifying that you are the owner and producer of the submitted material and that no third party ownership rights exist to any material submitted, and (4) you are hereby granting the Sponsor and MySpace and the station a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sub-licensable (through multiple tiers) right and license to use, publish, reproduce, display, perform, adapt, modify, distribute, have distributed and promote such content in any form, in all media now known or hereinafter created, anywhere in the world, for any purpose.
68. Release. By participating in the Contest, each participant and winner waives any and all claims of liability against the Sponsor, MySpace, their parents, affiliates and related entities,its employees and agents, the Contest¹s sponsors and their respective employees and agents, for any personal injury or loss which may occur from the conduct of, or participation in, the Contest, or from the use of any prize. In order to receive a prize, participants must sign an official waiver form provided by the Sponsor.
79. Taxes. Any valuation of the prize(s) stated above is based on available information provided to the Sponsor, and the value of any prize awarded to a winner may be reported for tax purposes as required by law. Each winner is solely responsible for reporting and paying any and all applicable taxes related to the prize(s) and paying any expenses associated with any prize which are not specifically provided for in the official rules. Each winner must provide the Sponsor with valid identification and a valid taxpayer identification number or social security number before any prize will be awarded. Any person winning over $600 in prizes from the Sponsor will receive an IRS form 1099 at the end of the calendar year and a copy of such form will be filed with the IRS.
810. Conduct and Decisions. By participating in the Contest, participants agree to be bound by the decisions of Sponsor personnel. Persons who violate any rule, gain unfair advantage in participating in the Contest, or obtain winner status using fraudulent means will be disqualified. Unsportsmanlike, disruptive, annoying, harassing or threatening behavior is prohibited. The Sponsor will interpret these rules and resolve any disputes, conflicting claims or ambiguities concerning the rules or the Contest and the Sponsor¹s decisions concerning such disputes shall be final. If the conduct or outcome of the Contest is affected by human error, any mechanical malfunctions or failures of any kind, intentional interference or any event beyond the control of the Sponsor or MySpace, the Sponsor reserves the right to terminate this Contest, or make such other decisions regarding the outcome as the Sponsor deems appropriate. All decisions will be made by the Sponsor and are final. The Sponsor may waive any of these rules in its sole discretion.Any attempt by an entrant or any other individual to deliberately circumvent, disrupt, damage or undermine the legitimate operation of this Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserve the right to seek civil and/or criminal prosecution and/or damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law.
911. Miscellaneous. Void where prohibited. Odds of winning depend upon the number of participants. Each winner must submit proof of eligibility and sign the Sponsor¹s release form to claim the prize. The Sponsor may substitute prizes, amend the rules or discontinue the Contest at any time. The Sponsor disclaims any responsibility to notify participants of any aspect related to the conduct of the Contest. For a copy of the rules, or where required by law, a list of winners, visit the business office of the Sponsor¹s during normal business hours or visit the Sponsor¹s website. All entries become the property of the Sponsor and will not be returned.
10. Delivery Disclaimer. The Sponsor and MySpace disclaim all liability for any delays, misdelivery, loss, or failure in the delivery of any item sent by mail, courier, express, electronic transmission, or other delivery method. The Sponsor and MySpace are not responsible for mechanical, technical, electronic, communications, telephone, computer, hardware or software errors, malfunctions or failures of any kind, including: failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed transmission of online entries, traffic congestion on telephone lines, the Internet or at any website or lost or unavailable network connections which may limit an online entrant's ability to participate in the Contest, and any injury or damage to entrant¹s or any other person¹s computer related to or resulting from participating in or downloading any information necessary to participate in the Contest.
112. Compliance with Law. The conduct of the Contest is governed by the applicable laws of the United States of America, which take precedence over any rule to the contrary herein. The Sponsor shall follow the applicable laws for conducting contests, including notice to the state attorney general or consumer affairs office, posting of a prize bond, furnishing lists of winners, running specific on-air disclaimers, providing specific written information about the Contest, etc. as required by local and state law.